Food soundtrack: Morning has broken by Cat Stevens
Everyone loves eggs for breakfast (If you are an egg eater that is). I love eggs and how there is so many various gorgeous dishes you can make.
I remember in the movie runaway bride where Julia Roberts character didn’t know her favorite egg dish. So in the end she tried them all. I think we all should know the instant answer to what our favorite eggs dish is. Oh, the choices, scrambled, coddled, boiled, fried, omelet, egg white oh, the list goes on.
My favorite has always been Poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, famously known as eggs Benedict w/ham or eggs Florentine w/spinach. I am quite happy with just the sauce. It took me years to learn how to perfectly poach an egg ( Really hot water and loads of vinegar) and make the sauce. Now that I have perfected it, it is always my favorite indulgence when I want to make myself a real tasty breakfast or brunch.
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 150 g butter melted in microwave
- about 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a medium stainless steel bowl I whisk the egg yolks with lemon juice.
2. I hold the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water as I beat the yolks vigorously. I control the distance and let the eggs gently cook by the heat of the steam. When the eggs yolks is thick and the yolks give off a slight stream of steam.
3. With a tablespoon I add one by one a spoon of the melted butter (which is cooled down but still quite hot) to the yolks as I continue to whisk. Keep doing this till all the butter is gone.
You should now have a thick creamy sauce of Hollandaise.