Food soundtrack: Times like these by Foo Fighters
I have been extremely busy this week and I have not had any time to be in the kitchen or write.
Its been a very eventful work week where my stress levels have gone up and down. To me I always find sanctuary in the kitchen, somehow mindless stirring or whisking relaxes me. I need the kitchen to switch off. Since there has been lack of it this week I needed a quick fix. On the other hand, I have been fortunate to eat some very delicious food this week made by professional Italian chefs, so at least I was surrounded by food.
I had a little window today where I was able to use the kitchen. I just needed to cook something, anything! I opted for an open-faced chicken sandwich, I paired it with some aioli, roasted peppers, pan-fried mushrooms and guacamole (I just went nuts with what was in the fridge)
- 1 chicken fillet
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 bolete mushroom sliced
- 1/2 avocado
1. I tenderized the chicken by flattening it a bit before I quickly put it in a hot frying pan.
2. mush up the avocado (use mayo and mustard to add extra taste)
3. fry the mushrooms in a pan.
4. broil the bell pepper in an oven or grill it straight in the flame from the gas stove. Peel off the burned skin when the pepper has turned black.
Quick Aioli ( Next time I will make it more detailed)
- 1 garlic grated or smashed in mortar
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt n pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
5. This is a super fast done aioli, it might not be right but I simply didn’t have time. I just put it in a glass and leave olive oil for last before I use an electric mixer and whisk it together till it becomes a creamy consistency. Cool off in fridge. Note. This turned out very garlicy in taste.
6. On a piece of your favorite bread spread on guacamole, followed by chicken, dollop of aioli, then finnish off with the mushroom and bell pepper.
It is little messy recipe, but tasted gorgeous and I got a quick fix of cooking. All I had time for this week.