Food soundtrack: Love you madly by Cake
Saffron is one of my favorite spices, I love the color but most of all that distinct taste saffron gives. I love experimenting with saffron and lately I been on a mission to create the perfect saffron sauce. So many methods and I am still exploring.
When we went to Turkey this summer, as a food lover , you cannot go to Istanbul without picking up some spices from their famous spice market. This lovely seller gave me a extra free jar filled with saffron, to me, that was like given a golden treasure.
- 2 chicken fillets
- 3/4 cup mild chicken stock
- 1/4 dry white wine
- 2 shallots minced
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads (soak them in a tiny bit of hot water to release flavor and color)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 large potatoes cut each into wedges of 8
- olive oil
- dry rosemary, salt, paprika, pepper and cayenne pepper to add flavor
- 1 cup of any desired mushroom
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 tbsp mil
45 minutes before you want to serve. In a mixing bowl with all the potato wedges, pour in the olive oil and spice mix, mix well before you spread the wedges on a baking tray. Put in a 210-220 degree oven for 45 minutes.
1. Saute the onion and shallots in a heated pan with butter and olive oil. Sprinkle in the flour and stir well for about 30 sec til it become a thick consistency
2.Add the wine and let it simmer for about 1 minute before adding the chicken stock and the saffron. Bring to a boil
3. Add the chicken to the mixture and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover with a lid and let it gently cook for about 10 minutes before turning the chicken and let it cook for another 10.-15 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken and then stir in the cream, turn the heat up a bit, and whisk well till it becomes a nice thick sauce like consistency.
(When serve, strain out the onion and shallot with a strainer)
In a frying pan
5. Saute the mushrooms in butter. Season with salt and pepper
6. Sprinkle with flour then add the milk. blend well together until the mushroom becomes a bit gooey
Now serve the chicken, with mushroom and potatoes on the side. Be generous with the sauce and enjoy.