Post soundtrack: Into the great wide open by Tom Petty and the heartbreakers
In all Norwegian cafeterias you get open-faced sandwiches everywhere. There are so many different variations from roast beef to our famous shrimp. I love them, its perfect lunch food. One that you can find everywhere without fail is the Karbonade smørbrød, an open-faced beef patty sandwich. Today I made my own variation for lunch by adding some personal favorites to the patty.
For the beef patties
- 250 g ground beef
- 1/2 grated onion
- 1 egg
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- some crumbled goat cheese (approx 2 oz) (also blue cheese tastes just as wonderful)
- pepper/all-spice a good pinch each
- white truffle oil (for coating)
- slice of thick bread, toasted
- 1/2 onions caramelized in the pan with some brown sugar
- mushrooms also fried in the pan
- pickled gherkins, sliced
- a fried egg
1. In a bowl place beef, onion, garlic, mustard, soy egg and goat cheese in a bowl and gently mix together. Do not over do it, or press too hard, be gentle when blending the patties. Shape into burger patties, chill if you are not frying them straight away.
2. Coat the patties with some truffle oil before you fry in pan or put on grill.
3. On a slice of thick bread place the patty on the bottom and then place pickled gherkins, mushroom and caramelized onions on before you top it off with a fried egg.
It will fill you up without leaving you completely over stuffed. I like to serve with some sliced avocados in the side. Enjoy. x