Food soundtrack: Spice up your life by Spice Girls
Another Thai favorite
This dish is made everywhere, a go to favorite for everyone and you really do need a fried egg with a runny yolk.
Oh, the Thai style we fry the egg in loads of oil to get it real crispy on the edges.
Stir fried meat with basil and chilli is one of those super simple go-to dishes that people always order. Its quick, simple and full of flavor. This dish is a favorite for many of my friends who come and visit Thailand, but you will need to take a little bit of spice.
The great thing about this dish is that you can choose your meat; Be it ground, lean beef, pork or chicken, seafood even. My favorite is ground chicken or beef. The only tricky part is that to get the right flavor you need Thai holy basil, in other parts of the world you might get this in your local Asian shop but normal basil works too.
- 250 g of ground or lean meat
- 2 bird eye chilies very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves very fine chopped. (mix garlic and chili together) (if you are training your palette to eat more spicy use large chili instead of birds eye)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2-1 tbsp Thai soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 cup of basil leaves
- 1 large chilli sliced
- 2 longs beans chopped into tiny bits.
- oil for cooking
1. In a wok or frying pan heat up the oil til its sizzling hot then add the chilli garlic mix (if you don’t want too spicy, add less or use less chillies) you really want it to sizzle and you will be hit with this spicy aroma. Stir well for about a minute
2. Add the meat and mix well. Add all the sauces
3. Stir in the long beans and the sliced large chili. Finish off with adding all the holy basil. Stir well together. If you want a little bit more runny sauce, add a bit of water.
Serve with rice and a fried egg on top.