Food soundtrack: Down river by The Temper Trap
In Norway we got fish cakes, fish pudding and fish balls, it is one of my favorite comfort meals. Because it is very cheap in Norway, it is often looked at as a poor mans meal, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste good. It is usually served with white gravy, boiled potatoes and boiled carrots, simple and tasty. I also love to heat them up and have on a slice of dark bread for breakfast or lunch.
I made these yesterday and because I do not have a kitchen aid mixer I used my blender (it got real messy to clean up). When you do this it is important that the milk and fish is cold, this does tend to get a bit sticky.
- 600 g of cod or haddock chopped into tiny bits
- 100 ml cold milk
- 100 ml cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp potato starch
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
1. In a mixer, blend together all the ingredients and let the machine work it till it becomes a fine paste.
2. Heat up a frying pan with butter and start scooping up little dollops and fry on each side for abt 4-5 minutes.
If you want to serve with white gravy
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. flour
- curry powder ( I like lots, gives great flavor)
- 2 1/2 c. milk
1. melt butter, stir in flour then add the rest. Keep stirring on medium heat til it becomes nice and thick